03-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #38
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonboz View Post
You keep insisting the price was the factor here, it wasn’t and isn’t. I feel like you have a superiority complex where only the M50i owners may speak in. I’ll clue you in on something, I’m not the guy putting M50 badges on my 40. I ordered what I wanted and will enjoy it immensely. Not that it matters as it’s a forum but calling someone a liar based on nothing isn’t exactly couth. Finally, my gas mileage comment wasn’t based on money, again your assumption just the convenience of not filling up all the time.

No need to respond to me anymore btw. We get it.
Great looking car!

I'm debating M50i vs 40i MSport at the moment, but leaning towards the 40i. There's maybe a 10% cost difference between the two cars in the way I would spec them, and that difference doesn't move the needle much at all for me (or I suspect for most people buying X7s).

The biggest factor for me is the trade off between horsepower / performance and mileage. Given that this car is a huge SUV that I'll mainly use to drive my family around, the question I'm asking myself is whether the amount of time I'll spend enjoying the higher level of performance that the M50i delivers is more valuable to me than the reduced range that comes along with that performance, and how much increasing by a third my number of visits to gas stations will annoy me in the next few years.

A few years ago, it would have been an easy answer and I would have bought the M50i. After running and enjoying a big BMW V8 for 3 years though, by the time I got rid of the car, I was tired of only getting 250 miles out of a tank of gas - not because it cost more, but because it just felt like a chore that I was always stopping to fill it up.

At the end of the day I'd be more than happy with either model, but for the purpose this car will serve for me, on balance the 40i is probably a better fit.
Appreciate 0