View Single Post
      10-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

There are a number of good ways to get started, but attending as many schools as possible is a great idea!

BMW CCA schools are a good value for the money because they offer excellent instruction, lots of track time and strict safety measures. If your local BMW CCA Chapter does not offer enough schools to meet your taste, try the local Porsche clubs also.

Skip Barber and Bob Bondurant remain top notch schools with many different programs for people at different levels. I also recommend a high end karting school as a good primer.

I strongly urge you not to just go track your car without good instruction or else you can end-up like this guy
. This guy did everything wrong, was in the wrong place on the track at all times and was driving his car way beyond his limit. None of which would have happened had a good instructor been sitting next to him I suspect.

I really believe that the best way to learn is to start with auto-x. Do a dozen or so of these and then go to track events. IMHO auto-x if very good at exposing you to the subtleties of vehicle dynamics in a low speed, very safe environment. Once you master fine car control skills you will be better suited to tackle track days.

I hope this helps!