clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Sure, all the time. I also use Traction mode often too. I don't like the Sport throttle setting much as it's a bit too aggressive for hard driving, at least in a 6MT. I much prefer the linear Comfort throttle setting used in Sport (chassis setting only), Traction, and the DSC Off. My only annoyance with the Comfort throttle is the initial 1/4" of travel which is too dead, IMO.

Most of us that run in DSC Off on the street aren't driving like a-holes with a disregard for the public. Most of us that are driving hard on are doing so on dry vacant stretches, B roads, etc. that we know well. We're also not driving at 10/10.

The stability control and traction control features aren't merely focused on what the rear axle is doing. They also sense understeer and will induce braking to compound it, even if understeer isn't happening. I find that annoying.

In DSC Off, the car feels unrestrained and does what I expect it to do. In the stability modes, I really dislike the intervention (throttle cuts, braking, etc) when I'm driving hard. Sure, Sport+ and Traction modes will let you marginally hang out the rear, but the stability control system will often abruptly stop the slide causing some rather hard chassis pitching as it intervenes. In DSC Off, I can hang out the tail as little or as much as I like and stay in the throttle and gracefully power my way through in a graceful fashion.

From some of the responses I'm reading about folks loosing control and over-steering into things and such, it sure sounds to me like they should leave the systems on as they aren't as in tune with what the car is doing and/or are asking too much of the car or don't understand the throttle control and brake control necessary when the tires are spinning and sliding.
I'm sure you're a better driver than me

if I hit a random metal surface/black ice that I wasn't expecting my guess is I would wish DSC was on...
Appreciate 0