View Single Post
      06-26-2019, 03:58 PM   #11
Britbimmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i Esterol Blue

Yeezy, yes I would agree that the tipping point is probably somewhere around 5 and 7 years and probably 80k miles or so. The trap I fell into was that I knew I would have some extra expenses after I left warranty, and it seemed like a bunch of things came up at 55k for example, but then you feel like you want to get your money back on what you just spent, and that probably means another 6 months to a year of ownership, and then something else goes.... so you get stuck in the ROI loop...Replacing the twin turbos really killed my enthusiasm, costing about $5500 all in, and I really feel that was because of a poor design, not reasonable wear and tear. The other annoying thing about that is that I reported a rattle many times to my dealer and they told me it was just the exhaust valve... in reality it was the turbo wearing a hole in itself, that was the rattle. BMW extended the warranty on the turbos I think to 80 or 90k as a result if this known issue, and had the dealer spotted it, I would have been covered, but it wasn't found until Too late...
Appreciate 0