danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My opinion is the best solution is an electo-diesel (or other combustion technology) hybrid drive train. The most efficient conversion of stored energy to vehicular motive force is using an electric drivetrain. Modern EVs have proven that. The problem is the storage capacity of batteries even with advanced tech. The batteries are slow to recharge and the fastest recharge technology requires massive current flow and cooling of the hardware to make it possible. This means the charging hardware is expensive to build, maintain, and must be operated by a trained technician. There are limits to physics, especially when economics are in the mix.

A drive train that combines a very efficient conversion of the stored energy in petroleum fuel to electricity to power an electric drive can be efficient. Locomotives, ships and submarines have been use this technology for 70 years. It needs to be adapted to automotive use of course, since automobiles have different drive cycles than trains and ships. This means that fast storage of peak energy is needed, battery or capacitors.
it’s been done but hasn’t been wildly successful.

BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0