View Single Post
      01-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlineSixTwinScroll View Post
Hey y'all, although some of you may know this, there seems to be enough confusion out there that I thought I'd post about this, even though I'm no brake expert. Dealers, forum members, and potential buyers, all seem confused by the difference and think they both mean the same thing. NO !!! Some people just call them both "M brakes". NO !!!

Differences:
Cost: First off, M Performance brakes cost a hell of a lot more than M Sport brakes.

Color: Not that the color is a big deal, but it points out that these 2 brakes are totally different. M Sport comes in blue, while M Performance comes in red, yellow, or orange.

What they are: M Performance brakes are actually high performance Brembo brakes, while M Sport brakes are just a small step up from the standard BMW brakes (certainly not Brembos). While standard brakes have floating calipers, the M Sport brakes have fixed calipers (4 piston front, 2 piston rear).

The M235i comes with M Sport brakes, NOT with M Performance brakes. If you wanna add the M Performance brakes as an option, it's about $2300.

Just wanted to point this out, to those who don't yet know the difference.

Those who know more about brakes: please feel free to correct me or add to what I said.
M sport are almost the same as the M perf brakes...

difference is M perf come with 370mm dimpled/slotted rotors while the M sport are 340mm flat rotors....

both are 4 pistion brembo front and 2 piston rear

Only benefit of the M perf is probably better heat dissipation, but M sport are almost as good hence why nobody in their right mind buys the M perf brakes if you already have the stock M sport ones on the M235 as you have to pay $2300 for about 90% same parts
Appreciate 4