10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDD View Post
By the time I got up to speed and started to have any real fun in an E92 M3 I had to start to slow down. Car is great but you need to get the revs up and the V8 comes to life. Lack of low end torque is something I did not fully grasp/know I wanted so badly until I took delivery of my car and realized how much fun you can have with a properly set up turbo car.

1M is fun from 0 all the way up. If its any consolation have someone sit in the passenger seat of a 1M and and M3 and see which car excites/scares them more under acceleration
I have to agree with this. The M3 is like listening to the London Philarmonic Orchestra live...you have all these super musicians and they all have to tune and warm up and practice and re-tune. Then finally at showtime, you get something glorious. But you have to go through a lot to get that glorious experience. The 1M is like listening to the same tune on your Bose sound system. You hit the track number and you have almost the same enjoyment immediately. If you don't believe me, listen to an M3 at startup, it sounds like a diesel with emphysema. Every morning, you have to wait for it to warm, cough and wheeze. Then finally when it warms up you have to have a stretch of road you can rev it up to hear the orchestra.

On the other hand starting up the 1M is an event! The 1M at start-up will crush the M3! Of course you only get it for 30 seconds, but I love starting it every single morning. Starting up the 1M reminds me of the recent fireworks mistake here in San Diego where they accidentally released 20 minutes of fireworks in one minute. I only live 10 minutes from work and go on surface streets. The 1M is glorious to start up every morning and just driving down 40MPH streets is a joy. Just feeling the kick in the butt at every light just rolling out of it without breaking any laws or pissing anyone off. Now if I lived in Germany and would have to take an empty autobahn to work and had a 30 minute drive the M3 would be better but for me, the 1M is way more fun every single morning.

So while the M3 has a better sound when fully warmed up and in high revs for us here in the US, the 1M is way more satisfying for me. Yes, I have eaten high class steak from cows that were hand-fed caviar by Tibetan monks and yes it was very good, but I love my Saturday night USDA prime sirloin just as much. And I don't care if the great taste comes from adding a little A1 Steak Sauce. I hope this makes sense to all of you.
Appreciate 0