Thread: i3 Charging
View Single Post
      08-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The EVSE, technically speaking, is only a fancy on/off switch...regardless of how much power it may have available, the car will only ask for what it can handle - the actual charging circuits, at least for the ac, are IN the car (sort of like plugging your 1A phone charger into a 15A receptacle...it doesn't really matter, it's still only going to draw one amp). The i3 is designed to accept up to 30A ac on a level 2 (Europe rates it different, and there, they call the same thing a 32A unit).

But, no, the i3 does not have a user visible indication of how much current it is drawing from the EVSE. You can get a bit more info from the i3 remote app, though, but that requires something with either Android or iOS on it.

Now, the DC fast charger is a bit different, as it is feeding DC voltage in, which bypasses most of the ac-dc conversion (the charger) in the i3. The i3 is designed to accept up to 50Kw DC chargers...a bigger one will not charge it faster as the car restricts the draw to a max of 50Kw, and as it is monitoring the battery temperatures, it will slow that charge rate down (on both the ac and dc charging cycles) as they approach a certain level.

So, depending on how discharged the batteries are, and the EVSE you have, 5-hours would be sufficient most of the time, but keep in mind level 1/2 are 120vac/240vac, and not all EVSE's are created equal...it's possible that a level 2 unit could take longer than a level 1 unit, but I'm not sure why someone would build it! There are some that are very close to being the same, though.
Appreciate 0