View Single Post
      08-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDF200 View Post
I'm confused about the charging system on the i3, specifically the dashboard/software controls.

I've set Level 1/2 at maximum. I have a 50 amp line, 40 amp EVSE from which the Tesla charges flawlessly.

I'm struggling to understand:

1) Charge time windows. I just want to set a charging window of 12 midnight to 5am, regardless of all other variables. Can it be done?

2) How do I know what my charging level is when plugged in? I'm specifically looking for an indicator showing that I'm drawing at 30+ amps (or up to 7+ kilowatts). Does the feature exist? All I can find is a graphic that says I'm charging. Not so helpful.

3) DC Fast: I plugged into our local DC Fast charger, but again, was not clear what the actual charge level was that I was experiencing. The DC Fast indicator icon did not appear, but there was charging occurring. Again, just not sure if it was Level 1 or 2 and if 2, the number of kilowatts I was at.

Am I missing something? Any help appreciated.

I have the BMW level 2 charger in my garage. The i3 is limited at 7.4kW no matter what amperage you have coming into it. It charges from near empty to full in around 3 hours????maybe less. So from midnight to 5am should be no problem on a level 2 charger. User above was correct in explaining how the car has the charger on board and the evse just turns on and off the power. Just wanted to clarify what the i3 is limited to onboard. If it is sending 7.4kW, and the battery holds 19kwH, then it should only take 2.5 hours, but there are some losses with charging (the fans run to cool the charger and there are ac/DC conversion losses), so it ends up being a little over 3 hours. You won't be completely dead every night probably, so like me, you'll only charge for an hour or two depending on the starting charge level of the car.

Regarding DC fast, user above has it mostly correct. The DC fast chargers are combo chargers, so they charge with DC as well as supply AC 240V to the onboard charger. They say 80% full in 20-30 minutes.

To answer your main question, there is nothing on the car to tell you the rate of charging. It is dependent on the EVSE and it'll only tell you the kW draw. I've found the BMW wall charger charges much faster than the BMW dealership chargers. They use charge point chargers and I don't believe they have the full amperage run to them.

Hopefully that helps. In hot climates, battery life is worse. Preconditioning can add 10-15 miles to my range in the morning. Pretty awesome if I have it set, but not so awesome if my car is parked in 106 degree weather for 8 hours. Range drops quite a bit. If you have access to plug into even a 120V 15amp where your car is parked during the day, you will be able to precondition and extend your range significantly. Even if the 120v doesn't charge so much.
Appreciate 0