View Single Post
      12-02-2008, 12:48 AM   #1
wa128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 135i DCT

Brake dust solution for 128ers

Thought I would share my brake dust solution.

I finally gave up battling the brake dust problems with the BMWs I've had over the years. Did a search and found a company called Cool Carbon Performance. I do not know if this is or was the same Cool Carbon that went out of business and was taken over by Turner Motorsports. The current company (through their website) looks to be in business though.

In any event, I had their street/track front pads installed last week. The features I was looking for were 1) equal to or better stopping power than OEM, 2) low dust and 3) quietness. I do not track or autocross my car so I cannot tell you how they might perform under those conditions. However, for daily driving I have not been disappointed. There is no dropoff in feel and no increase in pedal effort whatsoever. No spongy feeling as well. The pads bite hard and yet do not seem to have that unrefined grabby feel. I have not tested panic stops nor tried to induce brake fade so I have no comments on those. And for all of us dust sufferers...LOW, LOW DUST!

Here are some pictures. I just finished washing and wiping the front left wheel when I took the Day 1 pictures. I did not apply any type of wheel wax or polish as I wanted an untainted evaluation of the pads' low dusting ability. The Day 4 pictures are of the front right wheel. I would have taken the front left again but I ran over some puddles which affected the results. Usually by Day 3 the wheels would have been half covered by dust with the OEM pads on. Btw, you will notice the pads have a blue backing plate in the pictures.

Cool Carbon's website does not list an application for the 135 folks, however. 135ers might want to contact them directly if interested.

All in all a good set of pads, so far.
Attached Images