View Single Post
      04-13-2019, 05:05 AM   #62
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

I've seen a number of recent spy photos of the 2020 GLS and it looks promising with regard to leg room in the 2nd and 3rd rows. One area that is not so exciting (for me) is the dash and center console design which will look exactly like the new 2020 GLE dash and console. The large dual-iPad look just doesn't look finished to me. There is no dash overhand to prevent sun glare. I test drive several GLE's before jumping ship on a loaded GLE 450 I ordered last November (and it's still not built, production delays). The other part of the new MBUX design that I wasn't all that impressed with is the center touch-pad controller. I found it clumsy to use compared to the round controller knob in the previous generation GLS. And MBUX does not support wireless CarPlay nor does it displays CarPlay using the entire 12.3" screen, only a small portion of the screen is used. Overall the interior is a bit underwhelming in the GLE. The seat covers are kind of plain. It's not a bad look vehicle by any means but for the cost MB dropped the ball in this area IMO. And the new 2020 GLS will have the same underwhelming front seating area as the new GLE.

The X7 on the other hand has a beautifully finished interior and I prefer the way BMW engineers decided on a more traditional looking dash design by separating the two 12.3" screens. MB will have it's work cut out for them competing with the X7 and the other premium 3-row luxury SUV's on the market. MB loyalists waiting for the 2020 GLS would be advised to at least test drive the new X7.
Appreciate 0