View Single Post
      01-01-2020, 02:30 PM   #15
Waise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
I would agree. It works well on the freeway but it still kind of "Hunts" within it's lane. It's as if each camera has to communicate with each other constantly but the processing power isn't quick enough to interpret that data as fast as we do. Therefore, it still weaves and bobs a few inches. Even on straight flat freeways.

I'm on iDrive Version 2019/07.59. I took delivery from the factory on 11/15/19. So I must have just missed the latest update to iDrive. I don't know if the latest update is any better than what I have now or not.

But, overall, on long trips or heavy stop and go traffic it works great! But there's trade offs. I suspect the brakes get used for more frequently when using Driver Assistance Professional than when a human is driving and paying attention. Maybe that's why the brakes wear out so much faster on these vehicles. I just did my first brake job on my 2008 Toyota Camry at 102,000. I bought the vehicle brand new and I am the main driver of that car.

Their are pros and cons to all of this technology...Bottom line... "There is no such thing as a fully autonomous car". It will come, but we might not like what we get. Never rely on the vehicle, or any technology for that matter, to make decisions for you. They should be used as "Aids" only. Not substitutes. Just my 2 pennies worth of course...
Mitch I got an update a couple of weeks ago from older software version. It is version 11/2019.40. I think I remember reading in addition to some fixes in general areas, there were some enhancements to Driverassist. I am not sure what that mean against your software version.

I also agree that the brakes on these cars will wear out quicker and are expensive. I did get Extended Maintenance Agreement on mine.
Appreciate 0