View Single Post
      08-07-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Wow! That is very worrying to say the least especially in somewhere like Houston where flash flooding is not exactly unusual. Horrible situation, hope it gets resolved for you and honestly have no clue as to your primary question on value. But do appreciate the heads-up to not take any chances whatsoever with this car!

Cheers, C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptpa View Post
Hi all
Just like the other M3 owner in Houston, I drove through a rather deep puddle (8.25") but real slowly, and of course as the title says, engine stopped, DCT stuck in P and ended up being towed to the dealer. Now found out that the water got ingested and got 'everywhere' inside the engine. Of course this is not a warranty issue, but insurance said it will be under no-fault comprehensive. BMW said they will have to put in a new engine ($35k); appraiser is visiting the service today and they did warn me that they will either approve the engine replacement or consider a total write-off.

I saw that said M3 in Houston with similar situation got totaled by Geico; what are your honest opinion on engine replacement with respect to
- future performance
- possible warped brake disks due to rapid cooling in the water
- mechanical and electrical issues
- resale value is not a consideration as I leased
- any other I should be aware of

What is the way to calculate ACV (actual cash value) since there are no used M4s like mine within 500+ mile radius? What is the 'salvage' value for this car? Apparently if the salvage value + repair cost >= ACV, they would write it off. I am not looking for that, but I want to make sure I will not be spending more time at the dealer in the future because of this issue.

Thx a lot.