07-24-2014, 12:03 PM   #40
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
There is more power to be had once the backend flashes are available. Also, exhaust and downpipe modifications haven't been studied. Same with the AWIC. The only thing that has been decently explored in this early stage is power potential with stock hardware. We are still very, very early in the development of the S55. Also, the S55's turbos are much, MUCH more amenable to machined turbo upgrades than the tiny little N54 units. The exhaust housings were the restrictions before, and now they are substantially larger. The hardware all around is also optimized for higher flow and bigger equipment. The housings are now sufficiently large that we should see really cool machined turbo offerings in the relatively near future.
This ECU is much simpler since its a single Bosch unit vs the dual Bosch unit of the M5. I was initially wrong in thinking BMW would put the dual on the F8X. Ultimately the bean counters won because a 6cyl doesn't need a dual like the dual bank v8 of the M5/6. So maybe the ECU can be cracked sooner due to its "relative" simplicity vs the dual unit. And that sounds awesome re the turbos. Hopefully we will see a flash+turbo upgrade soon making over 600 wheel, assuming a fueling solution is found.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0