02-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt335i View Post
Good point John 070.
To add to that, if every single 335i owner was required by law to register on this site and post whether or not they've had the HPFP problem, then this forum could be statistically valid, but that is not the case.

I'm sure there are thousands of other 335i owners who don't know about this forum and so we never hear from them. Because of that, that the number of members on this site represent only a fraction of the entire population of (2007-2010) 335i owners.

Who knows how many have never had their HPFP replaced versus those who have, but it is my assumption that those who haven't had the problem are the majority. There's a HPFP survery that someone did and there were 286 members who responded to it. I'm sure there were those didn't care to respond, but the data percentages showed that there are more (66.08%) who never had the HPFP replaced versus those who had it replaced (33.92%). If you magnify those stats to include the entire 335i population, this could be the reason why BMW HQ hasn't had flagged this issue on their radar as a high priority because it's only a small number of instances. Thus, they only replace it under the warranty.

One of my co-workers has a 2008 335i and when I asked her if she ever had any problems or replaced the HPFP, she said no. So far, my 335i hasn't had any issues either, but it lurks in the back of my mind.
I am in the category where I haven't had a hpfp, at 17,500. My car has died twice, knock on wood, I hope that's resolved.

One thing one can't get with a BMW is that peace-of-mind if they are a perfectionist. The commercial is cliche, but of all your friends that own Hondas, has their car ever been in the shop under warranty, unexpectedly? It's no surprise if a Honda owner says they have never brought their car in for a warranty repair. Of course until lately, we'd expect the same of Toyota. I know with my Nissan, in 12 years and 187k, only cv joints and exhaust have been repaired, that's it. So that's what's lacking in a BMW, whether a 3, 5, 7, Mx, Xx, Zx. They are not reliable and I'm convinced nobody ever designed them to be as such. Selling extended warranties and extended maint. is part of the corporate business model and revenue generators.

So back to the OP, 26 doesnt' sound like a lot for a 335 given some of us have already paid 44k+ on one (I know I wouldn't give mine up for 26k, not even 36k), but if it's your only car and you know it's a lemon, it may be too much.
Appreciate 0