View Single Post
      07-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #1
denis_auckland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 GO5

Darth Vader noise on M50d?

Hi there, I am new to this forum and just bought a 2020 M50d G05, after a 2016 30D F15. Down here in NZ, the M50d comes with the M Sport exhaust package. Not sure about the rest of the world.

Anyway we just bought it in May 2020 and I have a problem with a noise at around 1,500-1,700 RPM in town when you re-accelerate from around 30kph to about 45 kph; it's just happens when driving in town at these speeds. My kids called Darth Vader noise because it sounds like that...like a low pitch noise at low speed but quite noisy.

I went back to the dealer in Auckland first at about 200 km (now have been back 3 times because I feel it's getting worse) and they initially thought it was not a normal noise but then we tested the 3 other M50d they had and they were all doing the same noise . So they think it's what they call a characteristic (because it gives "character" to the car...). After multiple testings, they now think that it's linked to the butterfly flap in the exhaust that controls maybe the NOx emissions...when they disconnect it, it stops the noise...but they are not sure it would do anything if they do disconnect it

Has anyone heard anything about a similar noise on an M50d ? to be honest it really bothers me and I would like to find out if it's just a problem with that NZ batch or if everyone can hear it! thanks in advance for your help!
Appreciate 0