View Single Post
      11-15-2020, 09:27 PM   #21
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsobol View Post
Does anyone know what the timeout on the keyfob motion sensor is?

X7 keyfob does contain motion sensor that shuts down keyfob while stationary for a period of time in order to prevent relay theft attack.

If the keyfob goes to sleep it's no longer detectable by the vehicle. If two keyfobs are present at one time and one goes to sleep while the other "walks away" the car no longer sees a live keyfob within it's monitoring parameter, then it will shutdown and lock. Same with the stationary purse on passenger seat, the car will detect last door close event, no keyfob, proceed to lock the vehicle. Kind of simple really, hence my question, what's the keyfob motion timeout?
The wife is sitting in the passenger seat. Why would it activate/lock the car and alarm the car when it knows there is someone in the car?
Additionally, I have instructed my wife to always shake her purse to make sure the key fob is awake before I exit the vehicle. Guess what? It still locks and arms the car. And before anyone asks, this is right after changing out the key fob batteries with fresh new batteries.

On top of that major blunder BMW likes to lock the passengers in the car with no way to get out. If a passenger is in the car without a key fob present and the doors are locked by key fob or comfort access, that passenger can not unlock the doors or windows. pushing on the door lock/unlock buttons does nothing. pulling on the door handle does nothing. I think there is some secret method to unlock it from inside but don't remember what it is off hand.

Either way, this is a disaster waiting to happen. Leave your friend or loved one in the car without a phone and they can't get out in an emergency unless they know the secret procedure to unlock the car from the inside.
Appreciate 0