01-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
I read something from BMW about specific cleaning processes for CCB and not allowing, as an example, road salt to remain on the rotors. That sort of stuff reminds me of the work needed to maintain matte paint. This is one of the reasons (excluding cost) why I personally chose to not go CCB... I wouldn't want to drive the car all winter and expose it to the salt, sand, etc of a typical Canadian winter. It may have been fine but reading this concerned me. If it was a summer only car, then it's a different story.

The maintenance items like these and the concern over the rotors being more fragile worried me personally. It would be good to confirm whether these concerns are truly meaningful, however, or if it is not a real issue. I am almost certain I read the salt/cleaning/maintenance piece directly from BMW when I was scoping out my M4 build but I can't put my fingers on it now.
Quote:

Already in new condition - due to the different material compositions of friction layer and disc body - the friction surfaces are covered wih an distinctive stress reliving structure. A further advantage is that the disc is not so susceptible to corrosion, which means that no rust films form on the friction ring, a phenomenon that is well known in grey-cast constructions.

With conventional brake discs, corrosion is more likely to occur with low mileages, long idle periods and low usage, because the minimum load level required to initiate the disc brake's self-cleaning mechanism is not attained. Corroded brake discs generate a rubbing effect when the brakes are applied, which in the majority of cases can no longer be removed.

However, this does not occur with M carbon ceramic brakes, since they do not have a problem with corrosion.
Furthermore, they are less subject to wear. The brake pads wear more slowly, and under normal use, the carbon ceramic brake disc will last as long as the car itself; the silicon carbide friction coating is virtually non-wearing. However, on the racetrack, the brake discs may be subject to oxidative wear. When the discs are repeatedly heated to temperatures of 600 degrees and over, the fibres within the brake disc burn up.
Source

http://m-power.com/_open/b/closedroo...d=3145&lang=en