01-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #90
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
I have to disagree on pretty much all of your comments. First, the Rover interior is very nice, much better than any existing bmw suv. Plus, the rover has pretty decent off-road capability . The gl drives nice, especially the amg variant. The q7 is my least favorite of the lot. If you really want and suv that drives well, the Cayenne is the way to go but it doesn't check boxes some need. I definitely am looking forward to the x7.
We can agree to disagree. I've owned a RR for a short time and got rid of it because all of my previous points. I thought the general architecture of the interior was nice, but the electronics were a nightmare, and because of the super high CG and suspension tuning it had the tendency to "fold over" the front outer wheel every time I tried to brake and turn at the same time (which is pretty much all the time where I live & drive daily). This drove me nuts. But I didn't object to the drivetrain at all, thought it was well paired and executed in all trim levels. And yes leather was very high quality.

Same with the GLS, but to a lesser extent. I thought the suspension was better, and the engine also better than in th RR, but found the Command system to also be very difficult to use.

By comparison, the X5 is much more logically laid out in terms of controls, just as solid, the idrive is in a different galaxy, drivetrain is superb, and drives like a BMW without being punishing. If they can transfer all of this goodness to the X7 while at the same time improving some of the ambiance (leather quality and little things here and there) then it could be an awesome car.

That's what the Q7 has got: good drivetrains, polished interior, excellent driving experience. A polished product in all respects, Audi has been really paying attention recently.

And beyond driving over grass, a mucky driveway or a few inches of snow none of these vehicles are really taken off road. A function of tire choice more than true off road capability.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
Jenya B144.00