View Single Post
      01-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #25
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyRyan2019 View Post
I wish I could still run. Too many injuries and surgeries for that. Now I just walk. But I do walk 6 to 9 miles every day (2 to 3 hours) not matter how hot or cold it is ( last winter I walked 2.5 hours in -28 F air temp / -45 wind chill). If you dress for it with layers, hand and foot warmers and a face mask and stocking cap it is not all that bad. Yes, that is a lot of miles to walk, well over 2,100 miles a year.
"Object in motion stays in motion" is one of my motivational quotes. Walking is definitely 100% better than doing nothing! So, good for you - keep it up! And 6 to 9 miles is no joke, btw. I got my wife handwarmers for when she goes for long walks in the cold - she uses them for hands, feet, etc. haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
I run on the side. Main focus is lifting, although I feel I'm in decent running shape. Just checked my Garmin, had just over 500 miles running last year.

Garmin tracks my personal bests, I don't necessarily set many running goals.
Best 5k: 22:30
Best 10k: 48:02
Farthest run: 6.31miles (I get bored running that long I'll be honest lol)
That's great - and those times are nothing to laugh at either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
Did about 1200 miles for 2019.
Fastest 5k was like 18 mins. I did a 25k at a 7:05 pace last year. Hoping to do that at 6:55 pace this year. I lift in the mornings and run 6 days a week. Yoga a couple days during the week. I just turned 40 and I am feeling great.

Running is just part of my fitness routine so I can drink beer and lots of it on Saturday.
Those are really quick times! My 5k best last year was 19:xx... I'm looking to hit 18:xx this year. So it looks like I'm one year behind you! haha And totally agree on the beer thing - running/strengthwork/working out are basically done so that I can eat and drink (relatively) what I want. I could get more serious and faster, but I am having too much fun with life right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I'm still in "free" mode on RK. I kept being tempted to pay for it, hoping I can "reset" my PR periodically. I want to know my fastest time this <insert time frame> where I made some sort of change.

So, RK keeps telling me that if I want to get faster in 5K range, I need to shorten my stride and has a training program to get there. A) I prefer to stretch out longer when I run straight distance. Soccer I take much shorter steps, but it's a different activity. B) I don't have headphones, and certainly not anything I want to wear for a run. At S2TS, I saw these bone-conduction sets. Anyone have good/bad to say about them?
I have two sets of those bone-conduction headphones. I bought one for me and one for my wife. She uses them all the time, but I never used mine (didn't even open the box). I tried hers on and hated them. I felt like I had to have them maxed out to hear anything, but maybe that's just the amount of fat between the headphones and my bones? I should've returned my set...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I don't get people who run in the dark on a dark road with no reflective gear on, no lights and i'm suppose to see them?
That is a pet peeve of mine. I just got the Noxgear vest, so I am going to be almost literally the opposite! Super excited to try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Runkeeper needs to tell me pacing info/when to modify for some of the training. I can barely hear split times because I have the phone in my waistband

I sing myself nursery rhymes to distract my mind and keep regular pace. Old McDonald is my go to
Same. I love the pacing info from RK. I listen to music if I'm running on the treadmill 100% of the time. Outside - only if I'm running alone.