03-28-2019, 08:12 AM   #22
VTENGR
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
Thanks all for the thoughts.

I think they begin to address the crux of my question: is the X7 to the X5, like the 7 series to the 5 series ie.a general step up in fit and finish?

I've noticed a few small things on the X7, for example the silver (metal?) switchgear on the X7 compared to black plastic on the X5, the suede pillows on the headrests of the 2nd row of the X7, extended leather on the lower half of the doors (although sounds like this will come to X5 too).

Do these sorts of things extend throughout the vehicle, perhaps initially unnoticeable or below the skin, making it just a little more luxurious than an X5? For example, does anybody know what the specs are in terms of double glazing on the windows, and how it compares to X5?
I think to equate the jump from a 5 series to a 7 series with an X5 to an X7 is not accurate. There's a huge price difference between a base 5 series and base 7 series whereas for the X5 base vs X7 base, it's only about half what it is on the sedans. I've been looking at both the X5 and X7 and it seems they share the same technology, X7 marginally better interior finishes. To me the main difference is size.
Appreciate 0