View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just an FYI...the CEL (check engine light) has nothing to do with the things the OP circled in the original post.

THE CEL is part of the 1996 OBD II federal mandate which is about reducing engine emissions. The light illuminates when one or more things associated with the car's emissions system has registered a fault twice. In most states (except California and Hawaii...and maybe Oregon(?)...if you don't have a simple OBD II reader or other OBD II scanner...you can simply hook the vehicle up to the scanner and retrieve the 5 digit DTC (diagnostic trouble code).

Since the internet and OBD II has been around since the mid 1990s...you can simply type the 5 digit DTC into google to get results of what set the CEL to come on...as well as examples of what usually can fix it.

The above comments is not to negate the issue that if you have a brand new vehicle...it shouldn't be doing this. And that your BMW (or other) dealership shouldn't fix it or at least look at it. But at least know that it is not an "engine" issue like the engine is getting ready to seize up or explode etc. If you pull the code using a scan tool, again...you can pin-point where the issue lies and then deduct or diagnose that area to see why the light may have come on.

On some of the new BMWs that have the active shutters (kidney grills)...there have been examples where the shutters have had issues (not opening or closing properly or getting stuck)...and this has caused a CEL due to the affect the shutters have on air metering. Incorrect or improper air metering can affect emissions thus cause the CEL to illuminate.

An example of the various emissions systems that can affect things and cause the CEL to illuminate...see the info below:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0