View Single Post
      02-25-2022, 11:22 AM   #42
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradythedog12 View Post
Hi everyone - Was wondering, now that we have many new members and iphone and idrive updates… what people are doing with regard to Waze and travelling???

I was trying to remember the Waze in background trick on my way to my hockey game the other night and got frustrated… finally found this thread and thought I’d resurrect it to see what others are doing these days!!

Thanks!

John
I'm still using Google Maps as my navigation app and running Waze in the background to get the police and speed trap alerts. Google did add little icons on the Carplay screen showing police, speed traps, accidents, etc. but did not add voice alerts. Apparently Google is keeping that for Waze users only. Background trick still works.

I am having two Google Maps problems now that I didn't have for the first 2 years I owned the car:

First, when I start the car up Google Maps will not appear in the Carplay Dashboard view. I have to tap Google Maps to wake it up, then jump back to Carplay Dashboard, and then it's there.

Second, when I start the car up and tap Google Maps Voice so I can speak a destination, I get an error message that says "Sorry, didn't hear that". When I try it again, it works.

There's something going on with Google Maps + Carplay + iDrive that isn't 'waking' Google Maps data properly upon starting it up for the first time. Everything is fine when you try it a second time. Frustrating.
Appreciate 0