05-05-2020, 07:23 AM   #14
BMWCAT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36, E39, F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJAK View Post
Perhaps dumb question. Probably 7 or so years ago at the NY Auto Show I saw a blue M3 with the matte finish. I fell in love with it.

My question is if you get into a fender bender, can a body shop do that type of paint? Is it very difficult to match?

If you wash your own vehicle, and I couldn’t imagine anyone taking it through a car wash, do you have to exercise more than the usual caution? Are scratches able to be buffed out?

Sounds like a complete PPF install is mandatory for frozen paint.
Oh not dumb at all! Frozen paint used to be rare and less body shops had the experience to fix it. However in the past few years it had gotten common, more shops know how to do it now. Spoke with a local body shop (insurance approved shop) with Mercedes certification, which learning how to repaint magno/ frozen colors is a requirement to get certified.
He also mentioned that it’s not necessary difficult to match, but what’s different is they got only one chance when painting it.If not perfect they’ll have to redo

Washing vehicle yes... frozen paint is as durable as the regular paint counterpart but when is regular paint tough enough against water mark, swirls, microscratches, and even Mark left by bird poop after baking in the sun?
Usually fixable and can be buffed with the regular paint.. It does not apply here...

I thought I’ll be comfortable having the car without PPF and just live with it... I’m wrong, I became very nervous every time I wash/ dry the car to the point car washing became less enjoyable... Finally gave in two days ago and brought it to get it fully PPFed..

Frozen paint is Def not for the faint of heart. Unless you’re willing to shell out extra to get it protected from the get go.