View Single Post
      12-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #100
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
i think la folie is a 1 star. honestly the Michelin system is very biased in terms of how they rate and where they choose to publish guides. i think a lot of 1 stars are better than 2 or 3 stars, and a lot of unranked restaurants are better than ones with stars. just eat good food wherever it is and be happy

you have to be careful with wagyu served in the states. 99% of it is domestic wagyu which is crossbred with angus. purebred wagyu from japan is hard to come by so you gotta ask the server if you see it on the menu. the difference is astronomical. you gotta at least try real wagyu once.

Oh without question! I've had the opportunity to try both the imitation and the real thing, and the imitation definitely does not compare! Granted, I do think imitations are appropriately priced. It's certainly better than ho-hum, domestically raised cows but noticeably worse than real Kobe beef.

I've had real Kobe at Tom Colicchio's "Craftsteak" in Vegas and IIRC it was something like $240/6 oz. The imitations that I've had generally cost about half as much (~$100/6oz).

However, I have heard of instances where restaurants will try and dupe the customer into thinking that he or she is ordering real Kobe beef when it's just an imitation, but they'll charge as though it's real Kobe beef, so I definitely agree you have to be careful!

Dinner today -

Roasted red bell pepper and ginger chimichurri soup (amuse bouche). Pork belly with fried mint and diablo glaze. NY Strip with onion soubise and Texas escabeche. Feta cheesecake with various nuts and honey.

http://www.thecarillonrestaurant.com/

This place used to have the deal of the century. 3 courses for $29.99 (And I'm talking about 3 full sized courses as you see above)! It was almost criminal. Since then they've wised up and increased the price to $50/3 courses or $75/6 (smaller) courses which is still a pretty good deal. For any austinites our there, carillon serves probably the best pork belly in Texas, so getting the pork belly is a must.

God damnit one picture always comes out side ways. Oh well
Appreciate 0