View Single Post
      01-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Yes. You can mount the winter tire on the same BMW rim that you have your run flats on.
It means dismounting run flats and mounting new winter tires.
With road force balancing (recommended) it can be expensive - like $150 dollars each time you do that. Dealer charges even more.
Run flats are tough to dismount so there will be some rim nicks.
Best is to get inexpensive rims from tire rack and let them mount snows on for you. This way you just bolt new wheels on. Remember to order them with TPMS sensors. After bolting on - reset tire pressure monitor and you are all set.

Remember if you have M brakes - only 20" wheels will fit
Not many Run flat options for snows, so most people get regular snow tires and carry a kit to plug/repair.

As to what kind of snow tire you need - depends on where you go in NE. I'm in Boston as well and drive to NH/Vermont - 6-10 times a season to ski, etc. So for me it is more important to have the snow tire that can handle the cold/wet roads and feel like a regular performance tire vs pure snow traction and digging in deep snow cover.

So I prefer Michelin Pilot Alpine SUV 5 - you will not know you have snows on - they drive as well as any performance tire and are V rated.

On the other end of spectrum is Nokian Hakkapelita - studded/ or non studded tire. Great in deep snow and ice ( i drove on them in Russia). Most of my friends in Vermont have those. It is good for packed snow, but on regular pavement you will feel it and the car will not handle the same (noise, spinning wheels, poor cornering etc)
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50