View Single Post
      09-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

aFe Scorcher Install Review

After trying my hand at two different tuner boxes previously on the M235i, BMS N55 Stage 1 and Dinan Stage 1, I'm now trying the aFe Scorcher Module. It connects to the MAP and TMAP sensors only like the BMS box but unlike the BMS, the aFe has only the two connections on the harness. The BMS box has additional connectors that are not used on the M235i and have to be stored out of the way.

I went with the Scorcher for its straight forward design of connections, nicely insulated harness, and small control box. Installation was straight forward with only the two connections needed requiring the engine cover removal along with disconnection of the negative battery terminal in the trunk. Verification you have put the connections on correctly are nearly idiot proof with a blue LED light on the control box that will illuminate when made properly. A little gimmic like, but hey they are selling to BMW owners

Single test drive so far and the torque delivery is very strong. Without having an actual Dyno numbers yet to show, it did break traction much easier and faster in Sport + mode. During my limited ride in manual Sport + doing 2-->3-->4 shift under full throttle I heard a change in the exhaust sound. I have the M Performance muffler and as we have seen in the videos and experience ourselves shift sound like short farts (lack of better way to describe them). With the aFe Scorcher the shift sound was louder and longer in duration. Had to do it a few times to verify it wasn't a fluke. What was a fart now sounds like a explosion out the exhaust pipes. More driving impressions needed, but it will make small children jump off the sidewalks and into the grass when it happens.

This was my first initial impression. Was lucky to score this one from EBAY for $312 (used - like new condition). aFe is running a intake/tune combo special on their site for the same setup I have (Momentum Intake and Scorcher Module) for $734 which is good deal for both items.

Last edited by Delnari; 09-08-2014 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 2