View Single Post
      12-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #3
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Right now, I'm going to park the 1 when it snows. Fwiw, I had to go to the store last week with a little over an inch of snow on the ground (have the stock summer only Bridgestones) and the car was absolutely fine in the snow. I wouldn't recc driving with summer tires in the snow, I'm just saying that I was very surprised at how well the car handled it. Ok with that said, I'll try to answer your question.

Before the 1, I had an 05 G35 coupe w/ factory 19" wheels. In the winter I would switch to 18" OZ wheels w/ Dunlop SP's. Once I got moving the Dunlop's definitely did their job. I noticed them most during braking and handling. There were however, times that I would get stuck in light, wet packed snow. I would turn stability control off and have to rock it back and forth and that usually worked.

The drawbacks are, even though they are a "performance" snow tire, they are like marshmallows on dry surfaces. Once you install them you will be counting down the days until you can put your summers back on, believe me. After the experience with the G35 my feeling is I'd rather buy a beater or call someone for a ride than compromise the overall dynamics of a performance vehicle.

-Ant
Appreciate 0