Thread: Bye Bye 1M
View Single Post
      04-13-2011, 04:30 PM   #16
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

You're right, with Porsche it all depends on the configuration. Take the leather interior in a Cayman and you'll face one of the nicest interiors available in this class (my opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Sorry to hear, sky! I am sure you will be happy with the Cayman S. Man, if the Cayman R would have been priced a tad cheaper, that would probably have been under serious consideration, but you add a sprinkle of options and in a typical Porsche way you are in 6-digit territory.

Sorry to hear of all this hassle. In principle I agree with you and am on your side. Let me ask you this, would it have held true if you bought say an M3? I am thinking that some of the rationale behind BMW killing your order is that all countries seem to have a quota, more or less. Imagine everyone fleeing to Germany for a 1///M, it can easily be exhausted on 'foreigners' and they are trying to protect their home buyers. Just my 2 cents.
Prices for options are insane at Porsche. My biggest problem at the moment is to find a used Cayman S with the options I want for a good price. There are only a very few offers around, horrible!

About the quotas: Your way of thinking is right, but in the end its just about information and professional behaviour. I think this is where it all went wrong and it looks to me that many things went wrong with the 1M regarding this aspect.

My dealer had no official indication that the car faced a limited production and he had no orders not to close contracts with foreigners. Thats the reason he offered the cars in the first place. If BMW would have informed it's dealers properly, my dealer would have said "sorry, can't deliver to Switzerland" and I would have looked somewhere else. In January!

But what happened was that BMW AG accepted the order, planned the car for production and after two months suddenly cancelled the production date. Official comment: None. Thats the worst thing you can do and thats what I'm gonna write BMW and BMW M: Fool someone else, you won't get my money.

I know its only my story and only one sided. But sadly, thats the one and only experience I have with a BMW, would have been my first one.

ps. Happens with other BMWs too, not just the 1M.

pps. In 1998 VW got fined because they forbid their dealers to sell to foreign countries. End of the story: 90 Million Euros fine.

Last edited by skyphab; 04-13-2011 at 04:40 PM..
Appreciate 0