View Single Post
      02-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #16
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
So in Canada, if you make $400K the tax rate is 45%....at $100K you're going to pay about 25%, however that's just the federal tax. Then there is the sales tax HST which is 13% on every single purchase, then theirs the user fees (tax) government "revenue tools" (tax), health care supplement (tax), property tax, carbon tax and then the tax we pay on gas, tobacco and alcohol.

At the end of the day, my wife and I make good livings salary wise, by the time we pay all of our tax more than half of our income is taken in tax.
One of the reasons I decided not to move up there a few years ago. Last year, doing some rough math, my total tax burden (including federal, state, fica, insurance premiums, etc ) was about 27% - which as you said would just cover my federal tax bill somewhere like Canada

I'm sure, however, that's a lot easier to accept for Canadians who grew up with that being the way it always was.

In America, we don't have a majority of people who are OK paying higher taxes in order to subsidize everyone's health care. A plurality - sure. By and large, we want taxes to be lowered.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50