Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Action View Post
My X7 was just completed at the factory yesterday, awaiting carrier assignment and supposed to be at the dealer on Saturday. The word "excitement" doesn't capture the mood adequately.

Anyway - I have a 3 year old golden retriever named Willie. I have been driving a 2013 Toyota SUV for the past 3 years (long story, wife got my E60 when I got Willie, and I got the mom car) and I plan to keep the mom car as the "beater".

But - Willie has been hard on that car. His claws ripped holes in the fake leather on 3 different seats, which wasn't cheap to fix. I keep them clipped short but still. I ended up buying a 2nd row seat cover which did the trick but looks terrible.

I don't mind the fur and the muddy paw prints so much, what I'm really worried about is damage to my Tartufo. I have to assume it's more durable than the perforated fake leather in the Toyo but I don't want to risk it. I also don't want to put seat covers on that amazing leather.

So I guess my question is what kind of experiences others have had, who had a large dog and got an X7. I got 2nd row captain's chairs and plan to make him lie down in the back, but inevitably he will climb up on the seats. Anyone out there had their seats damaged by dog claws from normal clambering around?
We have a 7 year/old Pitbull and only had one issue with any BMW leather (over the years she's been on Dakota, Vernasca, Nappa, and Merino). She's pretty calm overall (usually just curls up in a seat, doesn't often care to look outside), but she got aggressive toward a dog walking by while we were waiting for family to arrive in a parking lot once, and managed to somehow scuff a Nappa leather glove box while trying jumping around in our X6 at the time. Nappa would be closest to Merino, but the padding around the glove box was a little fluffier, and the hide might have even been thinner due to the placement, so less durable than the seats overall. She was acting irrational enough that I was surprised that was the only damage to be honest.

I would add she does not like the captains chairs in the X7, they're not as deep as the front seat, so she can't quite get comfortable. We usually have her in laying down on one side of the third row, or in the front seat.

Some dealers offer cosmetic protection which includes wheels, small scratches, seats, etc. It might be worth looking at if it's a concern to you, but those are the kinds of things you could usually DIY or pay out of pocket to a detail shop much cheaper. I probably would have gone this route if I didn't already have the X6 with Nappa when we got her. We had her strictly in a crate for the first couple of months before we realized that's what was making her car sick. We were cautious when we first got Merino in an F80 we had, always putting down a blanket or other protection at first, etc., but now I don't think twice other than helping her get into the X7 because it's a little awkward with where she could step. She jumps into the M8 like she owns it.

Last edited by unfoundnemo; 01-20-2022 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
x7bmw23281.50