03-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleckzandr View Post
Nice driving! Your steering input is smooth and slow (resulting in being fast on the "outside"). You even naturally turn more when you're going through the slowest part of the turn - and that's what you want. Two things though I will humbly point out: You have a tendency to put your hands at 10 and 2, and you frequently don't wrap your thumbs around the steering wheel. If you ever go wheel to wheel racing... and you don't have your thumbs "wrapped", you could lose control of the steering wheel if you get bumped hard enough and that could be all the difference when fractions of a second count. Again, great driving, that was a fun video to watch.
Thanks for your observations.
Regarding the thumbs - you learn something new every day! I did a lot of off-road driving and instructing in South Africa, and when you're off-road the rule is "thumbs out". This is because if you hit an unexpected obstacle the steering wheel could spin and potentially break your thumbs if they are wrapped.
Last year my son was instructing at Sebring, his student made a serious error on turn 16 and hit the inside wall. His thumbs were wrapped and he ended up with a dislocated thumb, and a bad cut between thumb and forefinger from the steering wheel spinning! Same as off-road.
So I'm still undecided there...

Should I speed up my steering input a little?