vitaly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaly View Post
I didn't shop MB personally this last time, but from what I've heard MB leases are worse than BMW, mostly around the MF being higher. Does MB offer an MSD program? If not, that's another BMW advantage.

Unless you're in love with the new GLE, I'd go for the X7. There's a healthy stock of 19s right now - I suspect dealers will play ball to move them as the 20s are landing. Or get the 20 M50i .

Where did you hear the X5M was delayed? Now *that* car will likely be fire. I also wanted to get it (coming from a 16 X5M) but ran out of lease. Back in 2016 there weren't that many around and I suspect getting a good discount on it will be tough, particularly at release.
I think MBs do offer MSDs but it's little tricky. With BMW you can buy from an out of state dealer if your state doesn't offer MSDs (like NY) and can register your car in NY. With MB, they required the car to be registered in the same state that the dealer was in (e.g. NJ) if you wanted to take advantage of the MSDs. Not sure if I was getting the wrong advice from the MB dealer and may be this is different now. Also, I keep hearing different things about the BMW's MSDs. Latest I read was that you can only get MSDs if you've had them before.

I need to test drive the new GLE. Back when I was cross shopping with x6 in 2014, I thought the 550 drove like a boat and just couldn't see myself driving it. BMW's driving dynamics are just better.

I test drove X7 M5.0 a few months ago. While not in the same ball park as my x6M as expected, I think it is a great car and would be a great lease. I am seriously considering it. My other option is an M5 but I feel like it would be difficult for me to go back to sedans after 3 x6 leases.

With respect to the delay, I initially heard that the x5m would have been out by this summer with production starting in the fall. Now I am hearing from one of the CA dealers that both x5m and x6m will be released in December. Definitely doesn't give me enough time to get it as my lease is up in February. I think you are right there won't be any deals on them until mid next year at the earliest.

As an FYI, BMW FA will extend their leases by 2 months no questions asked (up to 6 months in aggregate) or by 6 months with a production number for the new car.
Hmm, I've never heard that you need to be a prior MSD user to get them again. Seems a bit strange - I'd double check that.

As for BMWFS lease extensions, yeah - I ended up getting a 3 month courtesy, of which I used up 2. I heard the same Dec timeline for the new X5M, so knew I wouldn't make it. That said, and to your point about the M5, that's exactly what I ended up getting into. Spent some time hunting for a good deal, and eventually found a bit of a unicorn deal on it. Had similar reservations about moving to a sedan and losing some of the "utility" of an SUV, but no issues - it's a great car.

I considered the X7 50i as well but wasn't in love with the idea and dealers weren't really dealing on them at the time (did have one offer an 11% discount off a $108k sticker back in June, but it wasn't quite the build I wanted).

If your lease is up in Feb, you may have time to stretch into X5/6M availability with the extension. Deals will be scant, as mentioned, but you might find an opportune dealer if you search hard enough .
Appreciate 0