View Single Post
      05-12-2015, 12:35 AM   #67
BmwFlooner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M-Sport 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
A Miata would be great. My track car goals are either an e46 or e36 M3. I'd love an e46, but the price will likely be too steep. Plus the e36 is an incredibly light chassis.

When I say highly capable, I'm saying these cars (e90/f30/b8 335/S4 type cars) can hang with some incredible competition, with a few asterisks. Such as brakes for the b8, and maybe a rear LSD/oil cooling upgrade for the bimmers? This is compared with M3's or the RS5, which are pretty much track ready from the factory (of course everything has a limitation). I drove right there with some 1LE's, viper and C5 Z06 last weekend (in the intermediate run group).

I think learning how to change pads, brake fluid, wheels, coolant, oil is worth it if you want to get into this hobby. Also, installing your own bolt-ons will go a long ways towards lowering the sticker shock on mods. Helps to have a friend who can show you the ropes. Of course learning on your 50k sport sedan is a little head scratching...but learning is learning. It would of course be better to learn on a miata/e36.

We also have a second car that I can take to work, so having my S4 on jackstands for a week isn't the end of the world.
I'm hunting for a Miata. Finding a used MT looks like it's going to be more difficult than I thought. I may start to consider a used M as well. But I don't plan on trying to learn how-to maintenance on my 335.

Also my 335 is my family wagon. It can't have any downtime. One day I had to put my carseat in my Eclipse - rear facing. I'm not joking when I say I had to put the baby in the car through the hatchback opening.

But I'm not in any hurry to find another track car, so I'll just keep shopping.
Appreciate 0