View Single Post
      04-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #29
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I've owned BMWs since my first new 2002 right out of college in 1973, but I've also owned Mercedes since the first ML in 1997. Mercedes pioneered this segment, but both manufacturers make a good product. I just have stuck with Mercedes for my SUVs (have a GLE coming in 10 days) and BMW for my cars (currently an M4).

My opinions regarding exterior appearance of these two (not that you care ) are that I do like the overall angularity of the X7, but I think the kidney grilles are overwrought, more like the direction Toyota has gone. I like the squared off wheel arches on the GLS which are, oddly, more angular than the X7's. Overall I'd give points to the X7. Interior-wise, the huge GLS's MBUX interface is not artfully integrated, but as in the GLE it's pretty impressive in person to use. No good photos of the rest of the GLS interior yet, but the X7's is very impressive. At least in the GLE Mercedes is too conservative with their interior choices of upholstery, etc.

In powertrains, now that Mercedes has gone back to the straight-6 and added the e-Boost with 48v electrics, it has an advantage on paper in the 6-cylinder models, but BMW's six has been refined over so many years I'm sure on-the-road performance is very close. BMW has nothing to compare with MB's E-ABC suspension, but that's a very expensive $8k+ option that worries me from a complexity standpoint after warranty (but I still ordered it).

No wrong choice here.
If history is any indication, the driving dynamics of these two cars will be completely different. I've tried to like the previous version of GLE but it drove like a boat. Luxury boat that just wanted to float on the road and not get pushed hard. I guess if you are looking just for a luxury cruiser there is no wrong choice. But if you want to occasionally sprint or drive aggressively, forget about GLE (caveat is that I never drove the AMG version). I test drove x7 5.0 recently and it was very comfortable being pushed.
Sold: 2020 X7 M50 White Mineral with Ivory & Blue, 2017 X6M Long Beach Blue with Mugello Red, 2014 X6M Monte Carlo Blue with Mugello Red, 2011 X6 5.0 Black on Black, 2008 E350 4Matic Silver, 2006 Infiniti M45 Diamond Graphite
Appreciate 0