View Single Post
      06-19-2019, 02:31 PM   #32
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
I get dotted lines showing me alternate routes with time. Just had it today. And since Waze actively switches you to the faster route more so than google it doesn't need to do it the way google does. Google just keeps showing you every which way to get to your destination which frankly isn't required considering most of them are only 1-3 min difference and usually just "similar time" but hey to each his own.
What you view as a detriment is actually the best Google Maps feature in my opinion.

I have had Google Maps, and Waze for that matter, re-route me off the Cross Bronx Expressway onto local roads in bad neighborhoods in the Bronx. The difference in time was a minute.

I would rather stay on the safe highway than get off the road into a slum in a $85,000 German luxury car in order to save 60 seconds. Unless there is an accident, Waze does not tell me why it is rerouting me. Google Maps, on the other hand, tells me at every major intersection exactly what the time difference is. So if it chooses to put me into a bad neighborhood to save me 2 minutes I can make the decision to take the direct/safer route because I know the delay is only 2 minutes.

“Trust the re-routing” Is a carefree option in rural Virginia or the middle of Maine. But in a busy city like New York, you are literally one or two turns away from a neighborhood in which your vehicle and your well-being are in danger.
Appreciate 0