2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayM40i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has them, so here is my additional $.02…..

To each their own I guess, but I find it interesting that many who have posted in this thread seem to place a "premium" on the comfort and concerns of rear passengers - even those in the 3rd row. When shopping for my X7, I also sat (briefly) in the second and third rows (including the Captain's chairs), just to get a basic idea, but then left it at that when it came to any passenger concerns - especially any kids.

I purchased my X7 for my overall driving experience and enjoyment, not to be an Uber service, worrying too much about any rear passengers I may carry (although I feel like an Uber sometimes, taking my younger son to his many activities - I think many parents can relate ). The seating in the 2nd and 3rd row, even the bench option in the second row, is more than adequate for essentially any passenger (save someone with a physical disability possibly). And yes, the 3rd row is more cramped, regardless of bench or captain's chairs, but it was never intended for full size adults for extended rides - but is still better than nothing in a pinch if needed. And should be fine for kids too (so I say throw them back there if/when needed and make them eat their vegetables ).

And as far as kids are concerned, I love and support mine, as any good parent should. I also like to give them "nice" things they like and want (and I do). But barring some special physical need (which my kids don't have, fortunately), I could really care less about their comfort as passengers since I already know the X7 is more than adequate. Not to mention the fact that the kids (or other adult passengers for that matter) don't pay $$ for ANYTHING, so their "say" about the seating in the X7 is going to be limited, if not completely ignored .

In the end for me, I really wanted Captain's chairs - my previous SUV (Ford Expedition EL) had them, and I liked that basic look and layout for many reasons described in this thread. But unlike my previous SUV, the X7 Captain's chairs did not fold flat, which was a deal breaker for me since I wanted the max cargo carrying capability, which comes in handy for me a lot more than worrying about the comfort of any rear passengers, kids or adults. Like taking my son back to college (see pics below - so much crap ). But I have never had any complaints from my passengers sitting on the bench, quite the opposite actually.

But, at the end of the day, all that matters is what YOU want, what YOU like and what works best for YOUR family. After all, it still is YOUR money .
I agree with all of this but my bigger concern isn't necessarily comfort but being able to use all of the seats if needed. I was trying to determine what the best setup is for a family with two car seats (one forward facing and one rear facing. Kids will be in them for a while so the actual seat comfort is all about their car seat at the moment. Wanted to know the best options to accommodate other passengers. Also, how much cargo space do you really lose with the captains?
Don't know the actual volume amount lost, but look at the pics I posted where you can see the bench folded flat to fit all of my son's crap. While I theoretically could have packed his stuff on/around the Captain's chairs, I think you can get an idea of the cargo space lost with them vs the bench that completely folds flat. Also, larger/bulkier items would fit better as well as the max single size of what you could carry would not be limited by the seat backs of the Captain's chairs.

Regarding car seats, I never had to deal with them in the X7 as my kids are older. However, from what I can gather after reading other's posts on the subject, it seems like the bench is a bit more flexible with car seats than the Captain's chairs. But to be sure, I would just take your car seats to the dealer and do a test fit since not all car seat brands fit exactly the same (even though they are all built to the same safety standards).

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
JayM40i59.00