2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
When shopping for my X7, I also sat (briefly) in the second and third rows (including the Captain's chairs), just to get a basic idea, but then left it at that when it came to any passenger concerns - especially any kids.

I purchased my X7 for my overall driving experience and enjoyment, not to be an Uber service
...until the kids can't see over the Bench seat wall and start vomiting and begging you to take any other car on road trips.

And, since every X7 owner with more than 4 passengers needs one anyway, just buy a bigger cargo box for those times that you've got to haul the older kids to college and the Captain's take up a smidge more cubic feet.

There is no point in having a car with a 3rd Row seat at all if they are going to be miserable there. Just buy an X5 and give it up entirely. But if you need the 3rd Row and you buy-in to the concept of having 4-6 passengers in the vehicle, do it right and make that 3rd Row experience a good one. And that means Captain's.
I think our perspectives on how much we really should care about how "miserable" someone may be in the third row (or the 2nd row bench for that matter), especially when it comes to kids, are very different. And that is ok . My teenage son spends time in the 3rd row (currently 14 yrs old, and ~5' 10"; was 12 when I got the X7). He has never complained about nausea or claustrophobia, but then he knows it will fall on deaf ears with dad. He also knows there are more important things to complain about - which he learned when he was very young . He just hops on his smartphone like most kids his age, and younger do, and goes on with life… And as far as potentially vomiting in my X7, he knows his life would be forfeited if he did . I guess I just believe in more "tough love" than other parents….

I have had other, younger kids (not mine) in the 3rd row as well, with no complaints either…..

Don't disagree about the cargo carrier as I have been eying one for a while now for the reasons you mentioned. Just too lazy to finally do it since it has not been an urgent need. At least not yet…

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0