01-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
eripers
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Here's one thing I'd kind of like to know: Suppose the car, an automatic, dies when it's in motion. How do you restart it? Do you have to put it in neutral? park? do you have to step on the brake? Any of those things might be inconvenient, depending on traffic conditions.
It happened with my E39, I had a faulty cam angle sensor so the engine was a bit unstable. It is very inconvenient when the engine dies on you. I had to put it in neutral and then start, that was not the biggest problem. But it gets really heavy to steer and brake when all the servos are gone. And after I got start while the car was moving, the auto box went into a fault mode where only heaviest gear was available, so I just had to drive to nearest possible place to stop and then start again.
The f10 might of course behave very different; you probably have to put a foot on the brake even if the car is moving. But you don’t need to push very hard, and since the servo is gone, it would not really slow down the car much anyway even if you apply normal force on the brake. The electrical steering on none X drive models steering servo might also work even without engine running so we might be better off in that area.
This is off cource things that good to know before your in the situation, so if anyone actually had a f10 engine that died when moving it would be good to know what happened.
Appreciate 0