View Single Post
      06-03-2022, 08:09 PM   #46
robersoj1
Private
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
The car doesn't come with ceramic coating. You can buy it through the dealer. Usually there's no reason to do that, it's better to buy the car and then take it to an auto detailing shop to have it coated. No need to have the dealer act as the middleman between you and the detailing shop.

As you have probably heard, in the current market some dealers are putting markups on cars and selling them for over MSRP. Obviously, buyers don't like that.

These days a number of dealers are forcing you to buy their packages/addons with the car. Basically, they'll add on some services/items/mods that would normally be $1k, but price it at $5k and force you to buy that $5k package with the car. It looks (slightly) less scummy than just slapping a $5k markup on the car. And of course, a good amount of the population is too stupid to realize they're still getting scammed, so the dealer doesn't suffer as much reputational damage.

The ceramic coat happens after the car is delivered to the dealer. The factory doesn't put any coating on the cars.

If you're lucky, your dealer will allow you to refuse the ceramic coat add-on. If you're unlucky, they will refuse to sell you the car without ceramic coat (they're not going to have issues finding another buyer).

Or they might force you to buy it with the car, but they'll have it at a reasonable price. That's not a horrible outcome. Do note that there can be a pretty big variation in what dealers do for their exterior ceramic coat and interior ceramic coat / protection. Some dealers actually outsource the coatings to a auto detailing shop who will use good products and apply them well. Others do it inhouse, in which case some 16 year old kid getting paid minimum wage is going to take cheapest coating the dealer can acquire, spray it onto your car, and buff with a paper towel before moving on to the next car.

Good luck!
Thanks, I am planning to take my car to ceramic pro after I pick it up. I was shocked when she said my X7 will come with it. My plan is the same, I don't trust dealers at all and these guys have had little to no contact with me throughout this process. I know more than they do.
Appreciate 0