diesel007
Not Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325I

Garage List
2006 325  [0.00]
***No More Rusty hubs DIY***

Every two weeks I jack my car up and pull off the wheels to clean the suspension, wheels wells, and the inner wheels. I also do this to inspect the inner-wheels, inner-tires, and suspension components. The hubs on BMWs love to corrode and rust. Cosmetically it's really not a big deal because the wheel covers the rust but the hub-centric ring builds rust and makes it difficult to remove the wheels. Once the wheels are off the hubs look horrible as you can see in this pic.

As you can see the inner hub is the worst. I could not deal with this any more so I decided to fix it. I went to AutoZone and spent $13.00 on some sand paper, anti-seize, and brake cleaner.

With the brake cleaner and some WD40 I found in my tool kit I started to tackle the rust. You could use a wire brush in place of the sand paper.

1.Sand the rusted areas until you are down to smooth metal.
2.Apply the anti-seize with the brush included. You only have to apply anti-seize to the areas that were rusted but I did the entire face of the hub.
3.Wipe the excess with a towel.
…and you are done!

Here is the result:
Rear hub (After)

Front Hub (After)

Nothing too fancy but it looks a million times better then the rusted ones and you wont have hell every time you remove the wheels. BTW this only took me about a hour with one jack.

1/1/072/1/07
Appreciate 0