View Single Post
      03-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Exclamation DIY - part I: Clearing your headlights (removing amber/orange reflector)

so as you guys know it is possible to remove the amber lens. this was my experience of removing the lens. if any you guys try to do this, please do it at your own risk. i am not responsible for any damages you cause to your own headlight while trying to remove the amber lens. i am posting this to show how i remove the amber lens. another thing, if you succeed on this project and got a ticket for it, do not blame it on me...so basically what i am saying is please do this at your own risk!!!

it is pretty hard to explain this, but i will try my best to do so. if you guys have had experience taking apart headlights before, then you shouldnt have a problem doing this.

here is what i used:

flat screw driver
heat gun
needle nose pliers (need this later to move the plastic back to its place)

begin by heating each clip and pry it back with the screw driver. (there is a total of 6 clips, do not worry about bending them back too much. you can bend them back later.)

now using the heat gun, start heating up the section you want to begin. i started on top and move to the right. everytime you heat up a section, pry apart the cover from the housing. then move on. continue doing it until you get to about the halfway point. some section are harder than others. like this.

it takes alot of time to get it open halfway. just be patient and do not break anything.

now you should be able to get a little opening, like this.

now heat the unpry area really good. this is where you need to put some muscle into it. like this.

if it is not coming apart, do not force it. just do some more prying.

now that you got it apart just use the screw driver to unclip the amber lens. at this point you should be sweating like a pig, tired, wanna go sleep and at the same time feel proud you are saving yourself a bunch of money to make your e90 look good.

i have not attempt to put the headlights back together yet. but here is some process i did. now that all the surrounding look like this

get the heat gun and heat that section up, like this

and use the needle nose pliers to put it back to its place.

what i recommend is to remove all the old glue. make sure everything lines up. put the cover back on housing to see if it clicks in. go to the dealer and buy the german glue or ask them what can you use to seal headights together. german makes the strongest glue, i think. when you add in the sealer, use masking tape to tape the cover to the housing to keep it in place. leave it for how long the directions recommend you to. this will keep it seal real good.

well, thats all for now. i just did this to give you guys hope about removing your lens if you want.

Last edited by longtran; 03-07-2006 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: add to tittle
Appreciate 0