05-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #4
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I would suspect there is nothing wrong with the transmission. I know I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with mine. But barring some catastrophic grinding/crunching noises, I would give it some time to break in a bit. I think your OCD is getting the best of you - but I know exactly how you feel as I can be the same way about my cars when something seems out of place. The BMW automatic transmissions have an overall good reputation when it comes to quality and reliability. Try playing around with some of the transmission settings in Sport Individual Mode or ECO Individual Mode to change up how the transmission shifts to find something to your liking.

As far as your sunroof, yeah, that ain't right..... There is definitely something that is causing the tracks to bind up a bit. With any luck, it will be an easy fix that does not require replacing the entire sunroof cassette. However, if/when they do any work that requires removal, when you get it back inspect the alcantara headliner. If they man handle it too much (or don't wear gloves), it can get messed up (I have heard of shops having to replace the rear decks on cars because techs got greasy finger prints on them that could not be removed).
I can be OCD about some things but the gearbox isn’t OCD its definitely lumpy, Ive owned and driven plenty of BMW's for 15+ years and touch wood the boxes have always been superb. I had a long term loaner X7 40i while deciding on this one and it was super smooth with almost indistinguishable gear changes which has made this so noticeable as I’m driving the same roads, routes and speeds. I’m sure it can be worked out one way or another.