View Single Post
      06-10-2019, 03:35 PM   #16
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I do that as well and it works well. You'll hear an audible warning when approaching a hazard or if the police are up ahead. I also noticed when you end a CarPlay session with Waze running, Waze will restart automatically the next time you use CarPlay even if it wasn't currently running. Nice trick.

As for mapping software, I actually prefer the look of Apple Maps to Waze (better graphics) but I still use Waze to receive the alerts. If only Apple Maps and Google Maps would provide hazard alerts similar to Waze. No reason they couldn't both provide those features.

Living near a big city with dozens of different road options, the single most important feature in any of the Big 3 maps is Google Maps "pop up" that shows the time variance if one chooses another road.

Shown above on iPhone (it looks the same on iDrive) as I commute on the Northern State Parkway I can glance at the screen and see instantly that taking the Long Island Expressway is only 1 minute longer. Without getting some message or being distracted by fumbling around, I can just glance at the screen and in a split second decide to take the other road.

This is super handy when one road is more familiar to you than the one that the nav has decided to put you on. Can't tell you how many times the nav wants to put me on some backroad or alternate highway when staying on the more popular route only adds a whopping minute or two to the journey.

Only Google Maps has these pop up's and I don't go near Apple Maps or Waze as a result. Using Google Maps for nav and running Waze in the background gives me the best of both worlds....I get the at-a-glance route option from Google and the police traps from Waze and I'm good to go.
Appreciate 3
UGAdawg25.50
Wild Blue3676.50