Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
For a lease this might be an OK option but if I were going to purchase and keep the car for 5 or more years I wouldn't buy a dealer loaner/demonstrator before you purchased it.

The reason I wouldn't is because they never get the proper "Break In" period. The manual says never exceed 4500 RPM or punch the throttle to full kick down for the first 1200 miles.

No car being used as a demo or loaner gets a break in period. What's one of the first things you do when you test drive a vehicle? Take it out on the freeway and punch the throttle to the floor to see how fast it will go and how much power it has. Now multiply that by the number of people who test drove the car or drove it as a service loaner.

I'll let other's chime in here. But for me? No way am I spending that kind of money for a vehicle that's been through the wringer before it's even been properly broken in.

Just my 2 pennies worth...
BMW demos come in a variety if flavors, but good luck getting the true story behind it. I happened to know my X5 was driven by the dealership's VP of service. This is actually a rarity because nobody really has true salesperson demos anymore (they get lease allowances instead), they would typically be of the service loaner type or some use within corporate. I've seen speculation around them being performance school cars and the like as well.
Appreciate 0