11-11-2008, 05:21 PM   #10
rcornelius
Faster
Germany
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe Melbourne Red/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
I am up in Canada and I am going to try to get my oil changed to Mobil 1 0W-40 after the 1200 mi break-in.

Anyone else changing oil grade for the winter?

My problem is that it gets cold here, really cold, so thinner oil really is what everyone does in the winter. At least 5 weight anyhow.

Thx.
When I was going to utilize Mobile One I contacted them and since they did not have a 10W 60 available they strongly recommend following the BMW manual. And I asked again at my 1200 mile service and the dealer told me that if I use anything other than 10W 60 in the M3 engine that should something go wrong that the warranty might not be honored. Notice they said "might not". But when I phoned the customer service toll free number in the USA, I was told Mobile One was ok, go figure. Also please don't confuse the 10W 60 with a real thick oil. The number that the W appears behind is as thick as the oil will ever be. The other number simply means that the oil will have the viscosity protection of that of 60 weight oil. Multi viscosity oils in general should be good for cold weather starting. I know that extreme cold weather such as Alaska and Canada may be slightly different. You should be fine.
Appreciate 0