Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
FYI a CarMax warranty is not comparable to most other aftermarket warranties. The original poster is not buying from CarMax as far as I can tell. CarMax is more like a CPO warranty whereas standard aftermarket warranties are a whole different game.
I’ve had both CPO warranties from BMW and aftermarket service contracts from CarMax and other firms that offer similar coverage. Aftermarket coverage, through CarMax or elsewhere, is actually much more comprehensive than the CPO warranty. The only difference between a CarMax MaxCare warranty and the aftermarket type you can purchase from a dealer’s finance department or your own bank or credit union is the name and cost. MaxCare coverage is typically less expensive because it is bundled with a higher priced car from CarMax. Otherwise, the contracts are nearly identical, no matter who they are coming from in terms of aftermarket providers, three of which sell coverage under the MaxCare name.

I actually addressed this in my article:

Quote:
The new warranty I just purchased for the other car isn’t from CarMax, but the company who underwrites the contract is very similar to the three firms that sell coverage under the MaxCare name. The contract I signed is nearly identical to the previous one I had from CarMax, which means that the coverage is exclusionary: If the failed part or system isn’t mentioned, it’s covered.

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2

Last edited by tock172; 12-19-2018 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 0