Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC801 View Post
Would be interested in hearing your (and anyone else’s) view on optioned vs base cars on the above. Seems some covet the manual seats for being lower and the weight savings overall from base cars.
I wasn't in the market for a 1M when they were originally sold, so I also don't have great knowledge of the options presented to buyers at the time of ordering. There are long running sticky threads at the top of this forum that probably address some of these issues.

The M2 has hardly any choices in the US at least, you can get the "Executive Package" or not, some extra black grills, a sunroof, a choice of exterior colors, and that is about it. The 1M offered a few more choices.

With the 1M, the question is, "what are you going to be confronted with in the resale market?" There were some differences in the cars that were sold in Canada, vs. those sold in the USA, and a lot of the originally-Canadian cars have migrated south, like so many snowbirds in November, so that also needs to be considered :-)

Basically, the car was not available with a sunroof, so they are all "slicktops," which type (without sunroof) would probably be considered more desirable except for the fact that all of them are that way. Navigation and "idrive" (they came together) are a biggie, and I for one don't care for the navigation system and screen in the 1-Series, which is the same in the 1M. So some might want the Nav, and many will not. The Nav can be easily and cheaply updated; there is a forum member who sells the download codes necessary to update the mapping, and the cost was $50 the last time I checked. I have Nav in my 135i Coupe; I don't like it, but I did update it last year because it is there.

I believe that all, or nearly all, of the North American bound 1Ms came with the upgraded Harmon Kardon stereo, which is worth having in my opinion; the basic stereo in the 1 Series is nothing to write home about.

Then we get to the whole notion of the "stripper" cars, which a handful might show up from time to time on the resale market. Personally speaking, I don't think that a stripper with manual seats is worth 10 cents more than one with power seats, and the 2 or 3 other things that were "stripped out" in the strippers can't possibly add up to enough weight to notice, unless you think that leaving the floor mats out will lighten up the car . . . . some will disagree.

Basically, those are your choices.
The 1M was the swing song of the (nearly) analogue M car. For my 2c, the closer the spec to 'base' the truer the car is to that mission.

I think time will be kinder to 1Ms with the least amount of tech? as the car itself (and those who seek it) are searching for something that can no longer be bought new.
Appreciate 1
nachob2314.00