12-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #346
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
LOVE that. The one thing that confuses me about Cipollini is I never see them in the pro peloton. Who races them?
I haven't got a clue. I just started looking at them at the suggestion of my friend. He put me in touch with the rep, Pietro Caucchioli who is also the Pres of ALE bike wear and has designed his own carbon bike line, Divo. Guess this guy has sone some stages in Giro de Italia and some other major race(s).

Unfortunately, he's just flew home to Italy and won't be back, to even look at the Cipollini in person until mid Jan. Won't have a test ride bike until April. He has 2 Divo bike frames that would fit me, one is a personally used bike and the other is an unused bike. Both have campy components on them. He didn't give me a price yet on the Divo bikes, but i think he's going to want more than i'm willing to pay for a small boutique bike brand. Cipollini is more expensive than the F8. And there is another factor newly involved as well.....

This is also to serve as sort of a shout out to BMC for great customer service. My bike has been great, i've owned it for one year now and put more than 5000 miles on it this past year. One small issue that has persisted is that the rear wheel looked like it was cocked over to the left, making the tire close enough to some times rub the chain stay. When i would loosen the skewer the wheel would center, tighten it down and 30 min later, it would have moved back to the crooked position.

My LBS took pics of the drop outs and called BMC. Within 10 min, they agreed to replace my frame at no charge to me. But, it would be white and not available to ship until Feb. I asked my LBS buddy to ask them what kind of a credit would they give me towards a SLR01 frame set. They came back and offered $2000 off of the new SLR01. They also offered a SLR02 to replace my GF02, at no charge. So i should have a new SLR02 frame and fork to pick up tomorrow or Tuesday.

They aren't requiring the old GF02 frame to be sent back and my LBS might let me keep it as a rainy day bike or a trainer bike. Clearly would never be able to sell it or call in another warranty on it.

Back to the F8, Cipollini, Divo, etc... I think that i probably couldn't go wrong with any of those bikes buying them sight unseen/fit. Actually, i did get to see and handle the Divo frame sets in person last week. Quality look phenomenal and the LBS guys gave them plenty of praise. But... i think i would be better off going with an F8 if i'm going to buy something without a test ride. Helping this decision, my friend who is a Pinerello dealer can actually get me a substantial discount off of MSRP.

Long story short, the tentative plan is to get the SLR02 frame this week and list it for sale. Keep my GF02 as a spare/rainy day bike while getting an F8 and making it my primary bike. I'd like to go disc brakes, but i just recently acquired a set of ENVE wheels with ChrisKing hubs and SRAM eTap group set. Neither of which are set up for or are currently capable of running disc brakes.

This is the color scheme i'm leaning towards.