Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch Massacre View Post
How does Z3 even make sense from a nomenclature standpoint being that BMW now wants every car with 2 doors or a coupe roofline to have an even number. This sounds incredibly arbitrary.
"Z" is a series as is "X" therefore the standard (Roadster) can use 1,3,5,7 and (Coupe) can use 2,4,6,8 Same as there is an X1,X3,X5 and X7 which will be joined by the X2,X4,X6,X8 eventually.
Still makes no sense. The initial departure from the "Z3" nomenclature has been widely documented as stemming from BMW's executives desire to use only even numbers for cars with 2 doors or, in the case of the Gran Coupes and X Series SAVs, coupe rooflines. This was their plan all along, and where the idea to call the 3er coupe a 4 series originally came from. A Z3 would undo all of that by bringing a odd numbered coupe back into the mix. Looking as how BMW has now purged its entire fleet from odd numbered coupes even by sacrificing the some of the tradition behind its venerated sports coupe, the M3, in favor of calling it M4 to fit the new naming regime, I doubt they will now take a step backward by reviving the Z3 badge.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0